Thursday, May 8, 2008

I couldn't be more proud

Remember those petunias in Styrofoam cups or homemade planters you'd bring home from school for Mother's Day? For the first time, I was the recipient, not the bearer of such Mother's Day gifting.

In honor of this weekend's holiday, Alena's preschool class invited mothers to share "Muffins with Mom" time this morning. Having looked forward to a little Alena/muffin time all week, I was the first mom at the classroom door at 10:30 a.m.

Miss Jen kicked off the special event leading the class in singing "Bringing Home a Baby Bumblebee." The little voices and enthusiastic hand motions were priceless.

She then read each child's "My Mom" list of questions they had worked on earlier in the week. My mom is __________ old. My mom is _____ feet tall. My mom's favorite color is ____________. These were the questions posed to each student about his or her mother. Listening proved to be quite amusing.

Alena sat patiently waiting her turn through about half of the stack. She then couldn't help herself any longer and popped out of her seat saying she wanted to be next. Standing next to Miss Jen as she read Alena's paper, I learned I was 20 years old, am two feet tall and my favorite food is peas (yes, I do like peas). Alena then presented me with the paper and a pink petunia.

Better than the petunia, though, was the great big hug and mile-wide smile she also shared. While I managed to keep them from streaming down my face, I couldn't stop the tears from welling up in my eyes. She's so smart, so beautiful and getting so big. She's giving pink petunias, after all.

P.S. Today I'm thankful for:

  • Being Alena's "best mommy."
  • Trace's teaching me a new way to play ... cars, crashes and laughter at a good, heartfelt "kaboom" sound effect.
  • Alysse's adventure seeking.
  • A few uninterrupted minutes in the rocking chair with Alivia.
  • A daddy who puts his children first.

No comments: