Saturday, May 3, 2008

Wicked ...

and I'm not talking about the musical here. Wicked is the best description for the week we've just survived.

The reason for all the wickedness? I'm not sure. The whining, defiance, fighting and fits started Monday morning, and kept rolling from there. We did have a few glimmers of hope, when I thought "this too has passed," only to be confronted with another wave of incessant, unavoidable whining or an all-out screaming episode I'm sure had the neighbors talking.

I can't place all the wicked blame on my lovies. Admittedly, I had my fair share of wickedness too ... having four kids all in varying states of moodiness can do that to you.

I raised my voice more in the last week than I probably had in the last two months. I was moved to tears twice out of nothing but pure exhaustion and frustration. I even let loose a "God damn" which they've never heard come across my lips (which I later apologized for and explained was wrong once a cooler head was regained). I'm not proud.

While it was a week I'd sooner forget than relive, it was a lesson in our ability to stick it out and muddle through, remembering this too really shall pass and maybe tomorrow will be a better day.

Most important, though, while at our very lowest, each day still held a gem or two that made all the wickedness worth tolerating. Even with tear-filled eyes at the end of the day, I could still recall something that had made the day worthwhile ... something I was grateful for.

To that end, I've vowed, no matter how wicked any day is, I'll take a minute or two before bidding it farewell to reflect on those little moments that make it all worthwhile. Because, really, at the end of the day I have a whole lot more to be thankful for than I have to complain about.

On that note, today I am thankful for:

  • The Pixie's appreciation of Poison's "Your Mama Don't Dance."
  • Alysse's love of all things chocolate.
  • Alena's enjoyment of her pseudo mint juleps (ginger ale with a mint spring).
  • Trace's perfect little kisses.
  • A husband who knows when I'm at the end of my rope and loves me anyway.

No comments: